1. Courses Taught
a. UG Subjects (at NIT Andhra Pradesh)
- BT351 Bioreaction Engineering
- BT353 Downstream Processing in Biotechnology
- BT355 Downstream Processing Laboratory
- BT401 Bioinformatics (shared)
- BT402 Bioprocess Plant Design Modelling and Simulation
- BT404 Bioprocess Plant Design Modelling and Simulation Laboratory
b. UG Subjects (at NIT Raipur)
- BT 20316 Stoichiometric Calculations
- BT 20514 Bioethics & Biosafety
- BT 20731 Bioprocess Technology
- BT 20416 Thermodynamics & Reaction Engineering
- BT 20612 Analytical Techniques in Biotechnology
- BT 20622 Analytical Techniques in Biotechnology Lab
- BT 20513 Drug Design & Pharma Technology
b. UG Subjects (at SSN College of Engineering)
- CH2036 Fermentation Engineering
- CH2355 Process plant utilities
- GE2021 Environmental science and Engineering
- CH2355 Chemical Analysis Lab
- GE2022 Total Quality Management
- CH 2405 Chemical Process Plant Safety
- CH 2357 Process Equipment Design I
2. Professional (Work) Experience
Assistant Professor Department of Biotechnology, NIT Andhra Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh Since Aug 2018
Assistant Professor Department of Biotechnology, NIT Raipur, Chhattisgarh June 2015 to Aug 2018
Associate Professor Department of Chemical Engineering, SSN College of Engineering, Chennai (Shiv Nadar Institutions) Nov 2013 to June 2015
Assistant Professor Department of Chemical Engineering, SSN College of Engineering, Chennai (Shiv Nadar Institutions) July 2012 to Oct 2013
3. Select Publications (Last three years)
- Nanoparticles in clinical research: Benefits and Hazards. Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. American Scientific Publishers. Vol. 4, 2018. (In press)
- Toxicological Study of Nanoparticles: An Attempt to Relate Physicochemical Characters with Toxicity. Urban Air Quality Monitoring, Modelling and Human Exposure Assessment, Springer (In press).
- Proteins characterization by thermal property measurement, In 14th Chapter of Glass and State Transitions in Food and Biological Materials, Wiley-Black, 2017, 305-392.
- Metabolic Pathway Analysis and Dynamic Macroscopic Model Development for Lovastatin Production by Monascus purpureus Using Metabolic Footprinting Concept, Biochemical Engineering Journal, 2020, 154, 107437.
- Production of highly thermo-tolerant laccase from novel thermophilic bacterium Bacillus sp. PC-3 and its application in functionalization of chitosan film. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering (2019) 127 (6), 672-678.
- Marine shell industrial wastes–an abundant source of chitin and its derivatives: constituents, pretreatment, fermentation, and pleiotropic applications-a revisit. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol. 16, 3877–3898 (2019).
- Cellular localization and production of lovastatin from Monascus purpureus, Indian J. Pharm. Sci. 2018, 80(1), 85-98.
- Optimization of process conditions for the production of Pleurotus ostreatus using ANN and RSM. Curr. Biochem. Eng. 2017, 4(3): 194 - 203.
- Comparison of the elution characteristics of individual forms of lovastatin in both isocratic and gradient modes and HPLC-PDA method development for pure and fermentation derived lovastatin, Prep. Biochem. Biotechnol. 2017, 47(9), 901-908.
- Characterization of terephthalic acid monomer recycled from post-consumer PET polymer bottles. Macromol Symp 2016, 361 (1), 30-33.
- Medium as a message for metabolomic analysis. Metabolic footprinting: Tool to understand the effect of culture condition on production of lovastatin by Monascus purpureus, ACS Spring 2020 National Meeting & Expo , March 22 - 26, 2020 | Philadelphia, PA (Abstracted published on circulations mode)- BIOT 597.
- Wealth from Waste: Shellfishery Wastes as A Source of Chitin and Valuable Products, International Conference on Innovations and Research Advances in Aquaculture, Fisheries and Exploration of Deep Sea Fishing, Bhimvaram, 28th and 29th Aug 2019.
- Modelling of metabolic pathway of lovastatin biosynthesis, The 17th Congress, Asian Pacific Confederation of Chemical Engineering - Chemical Engineering for a Sustainably Developing World- the Role for the Asia Pacific Region (APCChE), 23-27 Aug 2017, Hong Kong.
- Molecular insight on the inhibition of rate-limiting step of cholesterol synthesis: Comparison of binding efficiency of statins – a platform for the screening of novel molecules- BIOT 565. In Division of Biochemical Technology, ACS National Meet at San Francisco, CA, USA, Apr 2-6, 2017.
- Pretreatment of Chitin - Biotechnological opportunity, World Biotechnology Congress - 2017, 20th to 22th Feb 2017 at New Delhi, India.
- Microbial Cell Factories – A Versatile Material for the Reclamation of Heavy Metals Contaminated Soil. The International Journal of Arts & Sciences’ (IJAS) international conference, 8th to 11th Nov 2016, University of London, UK, Paper ID: U6K984.
- Chitin and its derivatives: structure, production and their applications, International conference, SCOPES-2016, at CUTM, Odisha during 3rd-5th Oct 2016, p. 127-130, ISBN:CFP16H12-PRT/978-1-5090-4619-5
- Nanoparticles: hazard assessment based on physico-chemical characterization, Indian International Conference on Air Quality Management (IICAQM-2016) IIT Madras, Chennai, 15th -16th Feb. 2016.
4. Research Projects
- Research grant project on “Studies on biosynthesis of chitinase” funded under seed grant by NIT Raipur, MHRD, (2017-18)
Ref: NITRR/Seed/Grant/2016-17/002 NITRR/Seed/Grant/2016-17/002
- Student Research Project on “Microbial production of pigments and its application” with S. Abishek and M. karthik by SSN Trust 2013-14. Issued on 18-10-2013.
- Student Research Project on “Studies on drug delivery carriers for poorly water soluble drugs” with C. Sankkar, K. Sri Surya, M. Sharmila Priya by SSN Trust 2014-15. Issued on 06-11-2014.
- Student Research Project on “Studies on Microbial fuel cells” with T. Pradeep Kumar by SSN Trust 2014-15. Issued on 06-11-2014.
5. Ph. D. Guided –NIL
6. Academic Responsibilities
Member and Committee Chair
Class review committee meeting, Board of Study of Biotechnology Dept., DAC
2018- Till date
Internal placement training In-charge
Institute Anti-ragging squad-Squad member at NIT Raipur
Alumni networking for Department (self-initiative)
Institute Electika committee member at NIT Raipur
Analytical Instrumentation laboratory In-charge
Departmental DRC/DGC member for PhD students at NIT Raipur
Departmental DAC/DGC member for UG students at NIT Raipur
Resource person for question paper setting
CSVTU , Bhilai
Involved as Member in evaluation of performance of primary school in Raipur
July 2016 – Jan 2017
Member to coordinate C.G. school students to visit NIT Raipur under the scheme of DISHAEN program
Department level Gate exam coordinator
Department level Start-up programme coordinator
Editor of Department level magazine Spark at SSN.
In-charge for industrial visit and training at SSN
Institute representative for Chemical Engineering Association meetings
7. Workshop/STTP/Industrial visit Organized
- Organized one week TEQIP-II sponsored Short Term Training Programme on “Bioprocess Development, Reactor Design and Analysis” at NIT Raipur, Chhattisarh during 9th to 13th January 2017 with Dr. J. Satya Eswari and Dr. Pratima G., Department of Biotechnology, NIT Raipur.
- Organized three days Training Programme on MATLAB and Simulink for Chemical Engineering applications with Dr. M. Subramanian at Department of Chemical Engineering, SSN College of Engineering, Chennai, during 5th–7th Feb 2015.
- Organized One Day Workshop on Recent Practices in Chemical and Pharmaceutical Industries with Dr. C. Ravikumar at Department of Chemical Engineering, SSN College of Engineering, Chennai on 19th Sep, 2014.
- Organized a special speech by Prof. Farrokh Mistree, L.A. Comp Chair and Director School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering University of Oklahoma Norman, Oklahoma 73080, USAin video conference on the topic of “Educating the 21st Century Indian Engineer for a Career in a Culturally Diverse, Wired and Interconnected Engineering World” at SSN College of Engineering, Chennai, on 14th March 2013.
- Associated with organization of conference ChEmference’09 (Annual Research Symposium-2009) at Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Madras. Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Organized National Level Technical Symposium on Recent Trends in Biotechnology (2006) at P.S.R. Engg. College, Sivakasi.
- Industrial visit to J&K Lakshmi Industries, Raipur, Indian Oil Corporation Ltd, Chettinad Morimura Semi Conductor Material Private Limited, Gujarat Heavy Chemicals Ltd and Ceetex Petrochemical Company, Chennai.
8. Training undergone
- Short term training programme on Bioprocess instrumentation and control in Bioreactor design at IIT (BHU) from 7th to 13th Nov 2017.
- Workshop on Design and Analysis of Experiments, ISI Kolkata, 2016
- Faculty Induction Programme, IIM Raipur, 2016
- Short term course on Thermodynamics Analysis of Modern separation Processes, 2014
- Short term training programme on Bio-energy Conversation Technologies, MNIT Bhopal, 2013
- Faculty development programme on Instrumental methods of analysis for one week, Anna University, 2012
- Training course on Advancement in Bioinformatics Tools and databases at Sai Bioscience Research Center (SBRI), Chennai, India on April 2006.
- Industrial Training program on Industrial Safety Engineering at CEETEX Petrochemical pvt. Ltd., Chennai, India.
- Industrial Training program on Tablet manufacturing and Hygiene processes at GROOSELL Pharmaceutical manufacturing Company, Chennai.
- Received Prof. M.L. Khorana IJPS Best Paper Award and Memorial Prize 2018 in the field of “Pharmaceutical Biotechnology/ Microbiology and Tissue culture” from The Indian Pharmaceutical Association (IPA), Mumbai, India.
- Selected as a member of Young Scientists from the Indian delegation to participate in the 4th BRICS Young Scientist Forum, under the theme "Fostering Young Scientist and Innovators partnerships for a BRICS STI long-term cooperation" held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil between 6th and 8th Nov 2019.
Invited for two-Day Sensitization Workshop on Waste Management Technologies (WMT) held at PSG College of Engineering, Coimbatore on 26th and 27th of November, 2018, which is a part of a DST call on Waste Management Technologies (WMT) Programme - 6(D), i.e., Industrial Hazardous & non-hazardous wastes: Recycle/recovery of value added materials from hazardous/non-hazardous wastes, organized by Technology Development Programme Division, DST.
Innovative design award for smart cooler system from IITB
- Editorial board member in journal of chemistry environmental sciences and its applications since 2013
- Member in European Biotechnology Network since 2011
- Member in Asian Federation of Biotechnology since 2011
- HTRA Fellowship from MHRD, Govt. of India (2008-2012)
- Nominated for Biotech Industrial Training Programme (BITP), Gov. of India (2008-09)
- Outstanding student award in B. Tech Industrial Biotechnology (2002-2006)
- Scored centum in chemistry in state level examination, Tamil Nadu (2002)
- First rank among Hostel students in St. Xavier’s Hr. Sec. School, Palayamkottai, India (2002)
10. Outreach activities
- Technical committee member in 3rd International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering, Science and Technologies (ICETEST-18). It is going to be held on 6th - 7th April 2018, Govt. College of Engineering, Tirusur.
- Chairperson for review technical papers in the National Conference on Waste to Energy, Carbon Capture and Storage [NCWECCS-2017] to be held at National Institute of Technology Rourkela, Odisha during 3rd -5th August 2017.
Chair and reviewer of journals
- Reviewer for Journal Research in Renewable Energy, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, International Journal of Environment and Sustainable Development, International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology.
- The International Journal of Arts & Sciences’ (IJAS) international conference, UK, 8th to 11th Nov 2016.
- 3rd International Conference on Polymer Processing and Characterization (ICPPC-2014), M. G. Univ., Kottayam, Kerala on 11th -13th Oct 2014.
- Recent trends in Biotechnology for sustainable development at the Department of Biotechnology, P.S.R. College of Engineering, Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu from 20th and 21st 2014.
- Delivered talk on “Biochemical synthesis and energy production” on Recent trends in Biotechnology for sustainable development at Department of Biotechnology, P.S.R. College of Engineering, Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu on 19th March 2014.
11. Mentoring activity
- Guided student for various competition and conferences on the topics of Nano-cellulose preparation from agro-material, recycling of PET into monomer, Design Compact cooling system, Bio-pigment production, and Enzyme production.
- Mentor for M. Tech students for their Graduate Assistantship and Projects.
- Associated with Chromatographic method development for academic and Industries.
12. B. Tech Guidance
1. Anuja Jain (12112007), Jaideep Singh Bhardwaj (12112022), Umang Bansal (11112054), Studies on the bio-synthesis of Silver-Nanoparticles.
2. Brijesh Singh (12112012) Pintu Banjare(12112036), Shyamlal Chandrawanshi(12112052), Dye and chemicals removal by adsorption using waste biomass: rice husk.
3. V. Naveen and B. Kranti. Optimization of oyster mushroom production by response surface methodology (RSM) and artificial neural network (Along with Dr. J. Satya Eswari)
1. Udita Agarwal (13112048), Roopall Jain (13112036), Docking Analysis of Statin Drugs on HMG-CoA Reductase Enzyme in Cholesterol Synthesis Inhibition.
2. Suresh Pareek (13112045), Molecular docking studies of Squalene Synthase Inhibitors on Squalene Synthase Enzyme (SQS) in Cholesterol Synthesis Pathway (as Potential anti-cardiovascular Disease drug)
1. Sonu Kumar S. (14112050), Monika N. (13112023), Ravali K. (14112021). Characterisation of chitin produced from Shrimp shells and determining the end point of the reaction.
2. Awanish KC (14112009) and Nisha U (14112033). Adsorption of crystal violet dye using peanut hulls and tea dust.
1. J. Roshini (111502), Adsorption behavior of Sudan III dye onto LIAC/Chitosan composite prepared from novel biomass shells of Lagerstroemia indica
2. T. Devika (951407), Enhanced amylase production by Bacillus species in batch mode with Dr. Leela Ram
3. J. Sravya (111503) and N. S. S. Kavya (111510). Production of chitosanase from Bacterium cereus
4. Tarun Raj T. (111516) and Ganesh Sagar (111508). Extraction of chitin from shrimp shells